Sao Paulo Grand Prix organizers have admitted safety failings and vowed to fix them for next year after spectators invaded the track before the end of Sunday’s Formula One race.
Stewards said in a statement that a large group of spectators entered the run-off area early while the cars were still on track.
The Sao Paulo F1 Organization (SPF1) “frankly admits to failings in safety protocols and safety measures”, they added.
“SPF 1 said, in mitigation, they will conduct a thorough investigation and take remedial action in time for the next event in Brazil.”
The stewards ordered the organizers to present a formal remedial plan to the governing FIA by the end of next January.
The matter was also referred to the FIA’s World Motor Sports Council for “further investigation to determine whether any additional action beyond the remedial plan or the imposition of penalties is necessary.”
The Brazilian circuit is the most atmospheric on the calendar and track attacks have become common after the race, even if there are no Brazilian drivers.
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won for the 17th time this season on Sunday.
Formula One announced earlier in the week that it had extended Sao Paulo’s contract to host the Brazilian race until 2030, a five-year extension due to the current deal due to expire in 2025.
“I can’t wait for many more years of the wonderful atmosphere that the Brazilian fans are bringing,” F1 chief executive Stefano Domenicali said in the announcement. “This iconic circuit is beloved by drivers and fans alike.”